Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Country Western Mexican Style



Country Western Music the music about and by the "everyman" (which I think is "everyperson in these politically correct times). In Mexico that would be Banda. I know that up in the Great Northern Lands it's common thought that Mexican Music is all about Mariachi. I can't remember even once hearing Mariachi music blasting out of one speaker in the 2&1/2 years we have lived here :) Ah but Banda now that's a horse of a different color!!
It's a combination of a number of cultures mixed with the traditional Mexican culture's music. The greatest influence being Germany. The bands consists of horns lots of horns especially the Tuba.



There are drums, a string instrument or two and no self respecting Banda is without an accordion player :)

Banda originated on the west coast of the country, particularly in the state of Sinaloa. Ha Mazatlan is in the state of Sinaloa. SO not liking Banda here would be like hating C&W in Nashville :)


If I'm forced to be honest I'd have to say that it does take a bit of getting use to. It's rather an acquired taste. But somewhere along the way you start catching yourself humming to the neighbor's radio, or tapping your foot while typing on your blog... :) However I'm not close to the point of adding any Banda CDs to LW's collection of Woody Guthrie!!

Now all the really famous bands seem to have a mess of guys (Banda is still a male dominated world) all dressed in matching suits (polyester) and they have synchronized dance steps.

And of course they all have their lead singers. Some are larger then life, just look at El Coyote.

Like C&W Banda songs are about falling in love, being in love, falling out of love, cheating hearts, you know the ups and downs of being a regular gal or guy. Well here see for yourself. Here is a little video of El Coyote and his band singing about the trials of relationships :



See what I mean Banda is one of those acquired taste that must be taken in small doses!! Have a most audacious day or evening Bloglandians depending on where in the world you are ;)

2 comments:

marcy said...

I love reading your posts- they're fun!
Marcy

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Oh my my, I have to say I adore the matching tacky outfits...it's kind of touching, isn't it? Reminds me muchly of the groups of the 60's, it shows some pride and respect for the craft...and sometimes, it shows COLORBLINDNESS...LOL..the combos I've seen...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin