Thursday, August 26, 2010

Across Two Continents and the Pond

Hector and his wife Victoria are two of the most gifted chefs anywhere. Because Hector was born and raised here they decided to return to their (Hector's Victoria is from the UK) roots, and open a bistro!!! How lucky are we!!!!! As one would guess they have been an instant success with both the nationals and the foreigners, even though they opened at the beginning of the off season this summer.

H&V closed the restaurant for 4 weeks for a bit of a face lift (the restaurant!) and they went to the UK to visit their families. Victoria's is pretty much all English but Hector like many Mexicans has a number of European bloodlines in his family tree. English,Walish,Hugarian,Scotish that I know of. Anyway. I was so honored and amazed when he asked me if I could make a necklace along the lines of Tali's Path for his aunt. We talked for a bit, he told me about his aunt, she is a big boned tall 50ish "posh" (and just exactly what is posh??) fun loving woman who loves to laugh and enjoys big jewelry. But not gaudy,flashy or showy. Then turn me loose. This is what I came up with.
Like Tali's necklace I made this one long so that it could be worn long or wrapped twice. For a focal I used one of the engraved hearts I added the verdigris patina to.
I used some of the Mexican Chiapas amber front and center. One of Hector's request was that I incorporate a bit of Mexico in the necklace that didn't look like the campy souvenirs sold to tourists. I also used a piece of Mexican jasper, iolite, garnet, tourmaline, and a vintage pin.
The pin originally had little red wooden pieces. I pried them out and replaced them with some lovely vintage garnet crystals. Gave the whole necklace a nice Victorian,bohemian feel. Well at least that's what I thought :)
I added a couple of extra inches of chain because Hector was a bit panicky that the necklace wasn't going to fit around her neck. All he kept saying was "But my aunt, she is a very BIG Scottish/Hungarian woman". No amount of assurance that unless her neck was bigger then The Hulk's the necklace would fit fine. So I decided the most diplomatic thing to do was add a few inches of panic chain for his peace of mind. Work perfectly! Hector loved the necklace, and was very happy. I was very happy that Hector loved the necklace. Now all I want to know is if his aunt is happy cuz she loves the necklace. But for that info I'll have to sit on pins and needles till the first week of Sept. when the kids return to reopen their much missed (and loved) bistro!!
Wishing you an audacious art filled day no matter where you are in the world    p;)

3 comments:

SummersStudio said...

beautiful! and I love the story. i especially love that this necklace is wrappable. is that a word?

Cindy said...

What a gorgeous necklace, Pattie! I just know she will love it! I like how you feature it showing both the double-wrapped look as well as worn long. I just LOVE long necklaces so I'd wear this one in a hearbeat! And I love that vintage pin/clasp you used...and very clever to add that extra chain to lengthen the piece just in case!
Cindy

Diana said...

How could Hector's aunt not like this beauty. I adore amber and hearts......a very yummy piece that I am sure will be treasured for years.
Hugs
Diana

Blog Widget by LinkWithin