Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Of Cameras & Slides & Pink Point Shoes



Oh my gosh someone let her get close enough to the camera to play with all the buttons. Actually the truth is I have graduated to using my Kodak Easyshare software. Yes I know it's no photo shop. But then even after Nancy spent hours one afternoon tutoring me by the time I got home I had no clue how to get my picture into photo shop much less do anything with it. :( So for me right now Kodak is something I can work with and come away with all my screws intact and tight. :) I think it's way cool that when you want a B/W or sepia photo these days all you have to do is press a button. Remember when 35mm Black&White film was the only print film you could afford to buy?? Color film was so expensive the only time you used it was for weddings, christenings and 25th/50th wedding anniversary parties. Boy developing color film was also enough to force a family to eat beanie weenies for the rest of the week! :)




So what was the solution to the horrendously expensive color 35mm film?? Why slides of course. With slides you could have all the color pictures you could ever wish for. Because slides required special equipment (mechanical you know) to store them and show them the official family keeper of all things photo was the Dad. He had a special place in the hall closet where he had all the slides organized by year, event, and family vacations. Each slide sat in it's correct box in order, facing the right direction and of course right side up :)

As technology and our disposable income increased slide projectors became more hi tech. And then the screens gads they went from the white bedsheets taped to the wall to those cool portable folding roll down screens. Oh and then there was the invention of the amazing time saving slide carrousel's. No more taking a slide out of the box, holding it over the projector light to check for correct positioning, placing it into the little slide gizmo that pushed it into the projector.... "Well Holly Hell I'll be a God Da... Shhhh Papa the kids are listening, and the Reverend's hearing aids are turned up"....



Oh my gosh remember how your parents always invited all the neighbors and family over for a huge BBQ in the back yard so that they could show off the vacation pictures. Or when your grandparents came for a visit and the Christmas slides where hauled out, you know the ones where you are sitting on Santa's lap screaming bloody murder in total confusion because were you not told just this morning "Not to talk to Strangers"??



But nothing could compare nor prepare you for the most embarrassing night of your life... when the slides are dragged out with desert the night your first boyfriend comes for dinner!! :( OH MY GOD if I live through this night I'll have to run away with the circus or join a convent :)...
Jeez look at the time, I seem to really have wandered off track, or maybe I was just getting in a bit of practice for my golden years ;) It's rather sad how the advent of digital cameras were the nails that sealed the demise of all things slides. Then again I suppose it has also prevented all kinds of emotional scarring to any more generations.


In case you were wondering what's up with these ever so cool pictures that I have taken. Since I was a little girl I have always wanted a pair of point shoes. Oh not because I wanted to be a dancer, I just thought they would be so way cool to decorate my room with. Well I never managed to convince any one back then to give me a pair for Christmas. Then when Mette was little, her "I love all things ballet" phase was so short I still didn't get point shoes. A few months ago I was killing time with a walk through eBay. And guess what there was 3 pairs of well used pink point shoes listed. They looked like they had lead a long memory filled life. The opening bid was $1.99 and no one was bidding. Now how can that be, surely they deserve a bit of respect and care for all the support they provided!! SO I made that opening $1.99 bid, and 4 days later I was the new care taker of 3 pairs of well lived pink point shoes :)





One pair is now hanging on the wall in my Little Art Corner. I fill them with things I love, they make me smile when I look at them and they are great to practice my photography with and of course they do provide me with hours of play time with my Kodak Easyshare :)
Have a most audacious today or tomorrow depending on where in the world you are ;)

6 comments:

Nicole Merkens said...

Pattie, I love your blog...Ill be reading lady!
;-) Nicole

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

All this talk, get to the POINTE...ha ha just a bit of ballet humor there dearie -- those EasyShare pictures turned out great! Who cares which program you use, if you are able to create with it, then it is working fine for you! I love the sepia tones you made!

LuLu Kellogg said...

I love the creativity you had with this photo! I have always loved Sepia tones.

Miss you visiting!

Love,
LS~*xoxo

p.s. Let me know when Jackie is going back to TX...I have a box to send you.

Beth said...

hey, i found a few more felt food tutorials if you are interested, these are pfd files with the instructions. let me know if you want me to send them your way weepereas at yahoo dot com

sharon said...

Patti, you are too sweet!! When people ask me to do something, if I can, I will, and I try to do anything I can for anyone. Normally, I would not post those pictures of my publication, but you asked , so I did! I am so glad t have found your blog and can relate so well to your stories!! I recently got photoshop and still can't do a damn thing with it!!
Love your photos, sepia is the best!!
When I was young I swore I was going to be a model!! Yeah right!
I'm happy I am what I am!! And that I know you!!

Silver Parrot said...

What a cool idea!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin