Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Very Own Wilma Flintstone Necklace!!


When we were up in the Northlands last month I picked up a fashion magazine (sorry I can't even begin to remember which one) and noticed a set of pearls. They were huge pearls but simply strung and they tied around the neck with a wide black ribbon. I thought they would be so much fun to make and wear. And because the beads were Wilma Flinstone size they would look really spiffy with a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. Soooo when I go home I found some nice fat 14mm glass pearl beads at our little bead store. And since it's going out of business the string was marked down to $30pesos (less then $3US) Instead of a black ribbon I used a deep rich burgandy 1&1/2 inch wide satin ribbon.



I had these great vintage rhinestone clips that would be perfect, to attach the ribbons to the string of pearls.



But the I ran into a couple of anoying issues!! :( First I've learned the hard way that not all pot metal is the same. Not all pot metal is the same on the same piece. Not a big deal unless you find a hunk that you can't solder to!! And so it was the other day. I got 2 of the bars and one of the rings soldered on when no way was the fourth one going!!! See the picture below see the point of the arrow??? That's where it wasn't going to stick. Sooooo I grabbed a heavy eye to a hook and eye set and some heavy waxed thread and "sewed it on" To be extra sure I glue the thread with some E6000. A jump ring was all I needed to attach the clip with the ribbon to the beads. Yippie ready for a test drive. Annoying point number two. I am sooooooooo uncooridinated that the harder I tried to tie a pretty bow in the back the worse it got to looking. Plus the two rhinestone pieces wouldn't lay together right! I finally had to set it down and walk away. Well I came up with a workable solution even if it's not very professional, but then I'm not selling it so no one really has to know. ;)

I made a "clip on bow tie" Yep that's what I did. I took the hook part to the hook and eye and sewed it onto the bead side of the necklace. So now the necklace closes without being to odvious. As for the ribbon I tied it into a lovely bow between the two clips, and because I'm a lazy girl at heart I stitched the bow down so it doesn't come untied!! Well if it was going to be a clip on bow tie I thought I should do it right , don't you think! :)


Have a most audacious today or tomorrow depending on where in the world you are p;)



P.S. Ha I just got an email from Wilma that said "You Go Girl!!!"

12 comments:

stregata said...

How perfectly ingenious of you! I just love how you master the challenges you encounter while creating. That is real creativity!!!
I bet Wilma is sooo jealous!

Esther said...

very beautiful and vintage!! those pearls are so nice!!

LuLu Kellogg said...

BS...I am totally convinced that you can do ANYTHING! If there is a way, you will find it!

Still sitting here with 18 inches of snow still around us! The sun is out today so hopefully some of this will melt!

Love to you, LW and Babies of Fur!

LS, The Commander, #2 and our Babies of Fur

Tristan Robin said...

necessity is the mother of artistic invention - or something like that :P

lovely necklace and clever problem solving!

Tristan Robin said...

necessity is the mother of artistic invention - or something like that :P

lovely necklace and clever problem solving!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Pretty! I love glass pearls!

Charmingdesigns said...

You are so clever!! Isn't creating such a wonderful thing. This is just charming!

Narrative jewelry said...

Wonderful idea Pattie, you are the best ! Love the beautiful burgundia color of the ribbon.
Oh, and congrats for being featured in Art bead scene. When i said you were the best !
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Wilma Flintstone! You are too funny. That necklace looks down right elegant. It reminds me of the movie "Pretty in Pink".

TesoriTrovati said...

What a spot on perfect Wilma necklace! I love the bright pink ribbon.

I have so enjoyed knowing you through the blogdom and I look forward to many more encounters with you in the New Year.

Blessings to you and yours. Stay warm :-)

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Anonymous said...

love your wilma necklace, it's quite lovely!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of necklaces and jewelery i am deeply in that business.
I am working on handmade crocheted, felt and fabric necklaces, shell jewelry, romantic silk necklaces handcrafted with pearl ,glass beaded bracelets, oya lace jewelleries
You can find Bohemian,Victorian style,vintage jewelleries
Quality, Unique style, Cute, Romantic, Beautiful colors, Fit with all dresses, Ethnic,Elegant, Authentic, Joyful JEWELRIES

My ACCESSORIES shop http://www.kirevi888.etsy.com
My SUPPLY shop http://www.kirevi88.etsy.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin